Pirate Polish

This blog is the home of Pirate Polish! To see Pirate Polish swatches, click here. To visit Pirate Polish on Facebook, click here.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Comparison Post with China Glaze Kalahari Kiss and Illamasqua Stance

In my post about China Glaze's On Safari collection last week I mentioned doing a comparison post for Kalahari Kiss; I have that (plus another comparison featuring Illamasqua Stance) for you today. 


By far the closest colour to China Glaze Kalahari Kiss in my collection is MAC's In The Buff (a limited edition shade from summer 2010). However, I think these two colours are far from being twins. Kalahari Kiss is much brighter and cleaner, whereas In The Buff has a much dirtier, murkier tinge to it.

Left to Right: China Glaze, MAC, China Glaze, MAC


In The Buff leans towards the greenish/grey side, while Kalahari Kiss is much more of a clean camel-beige. It's also much more wearable than In The Buff, and generally more flattering, in my opinion. Formula-wise, I'll also take the China Glaze over the MAC. MAC's lacquers are notorious for being weak in terms of formula, and this was still a little streaky at two coats, were Kalahari Kiss was perfect.


The other comparison I wanted to share with you features Illamasqua Stance and Zoya Charisma.


When I first tried Illamasqua Stance, it's nearly-neon vividness brought to mind another purple-neon: Zoya Charisma. However, the two are actually quite different.

Left to Right: Illamasqua, Zoya, Illamasqua, Zoya


Illamasqua Stance is much more cool toned and purple leaning, where Zoya Charisma is more of a warm pink-red. Charisma is also more of a true neon, drying with a matte finish. I much prefer the look and finish on Illamasqua Stance. For me, there is no contest here- Illamasqua knocked this one out of the park. You can see my original swatches of it here.


Just for the heck of it I also pulled out NARS Anardana to add to the comparison (it's shown here on the index finger), but it much more of a pink, rather than purple.


I hope these comparisons helped you out! Which colours are your favourite?

18 comments:

  1. The more I see Kalahari Kiss, the more I kind of want it. Your comparisons is making it look even better. I think I'll have to get it now lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a nice neutral to own- if you end up picking it up I'll definitely look forward to seeing your swatches of it!

      Delete
  2. In The Buff is more darker than Kalahari Kiss.
    But in all, I like all the color! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember getting In The Buff because it was described as an "avocado" shade- unfortunately it never really lived up to that claim, and I think I would like it a lot more if it had!

      Delete
  3. in the buff and kalahari kiss are so similar but i am in love with kalahari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend Kalahari Kiss if I had to choose between the two!

      Delete
  4. Great comparisons! I have been wanting Kalahari Kiss, glad to know that the Mac isn't a dupe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! Other comparisons I checked out made it seem like Charisma and Stance were much more similar, but I still needed Stance... this makes me feel much better about spending $18 on it! lol. Charisma just wouldn't have worked for that lemming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove Illamasqua Stance! I find that Illamasqua is one of the few high end brands I don't feel bad about paying the higher price tag for. Their formula is always perfect, and because it's a rare indulgence for me I really enjoy purchasing their lacquers. I'm glad you found this comparison post helpful!

      Delete
  6. Great comparisons - my favorite has to be Illamasqua Stance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Mac In The Buff polish is really nasty looking! Definitely prefer the CG one. I love that Illamasqua on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I'm still not totally sure what I was thinking when I bought In The Buff. Maybe I got bitten by the "Limited Edition bug".

      Delete
  8. I got Kalahari Kiss last week but haven't worn it yet. I love camel beiges - cannot wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like camels/beiges I'm sure you'll love Kalahari Kiss! Looking forward to seeing it on your blog. :)

      Delete
  9. great comparisons :) Zoya Charisma is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete